- 1 1/2 cups short grain rice
- 1lb (1/2 kg) minced meat or lamb
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each pepper,cinnamon
- Remove the core from the cabbage and separate the leaves.
- Blanche the leaves - a few at a time - and remove from the water quickly. Drain.
- Flatten the central veins of the leaves, discarding them if they are too tough to roll. Cut the large leaves into halves and leave the small ones whole.
- Prepare the stuffing and stuff and roll as directed in "Stuffed grape vine leaves in oil".
- In a saucepan, place a layer of blanched unstuffed cabbage leaves, 1/4 cup of ghee and the garlic cloves.
- Arrange the stuffed leaves on top of the garlic cloves and cover with a plate turned upside-down to keep them in place.
- Cover the stuffed leaves with boiling water and place the saucepan over medium heat until the water comes to the boil.
- Reduce the heat add lemon juice, and cook until the water evaporates (one hour). Turn the stuffed leaves onto a platter and serve with yoghurt.
Malfouf (Stuffed Cabbage) video...