This is Maamool with dates recipe. The other one is Maamool with walnuts.
- 1 1/2 # semolina
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 # pound butter
- boiling water
- 2 # fresh dates, pitted and pureed
- Combine the semolina and the sugar in a large bowl, mix thoroughly. Melt 1# pound of the butter and let it come to a boil . Gradually add the butter to the semolina mixture. Knead well. Set aside in a sealed airtight container at least one hour before using.
- When you are ready to use the dough add small amounts of boiling water to make the dough soft and pliable. Wear rubber gloves to protect hands from the boiling water. Combine the dates with the 1/4 # pound of butter (it is better to let this soften first). Knead together until they are well blended. Mold the pastry in small ball about 2 inches in diameter. Hollow out the center of the ball using your finger. Form a shell about 1/4 inch thick.
- Fill the hollow with the date mixture. Seal the top by pressing the dough together. Flatten lightly between your palms to form a pie shape. Use the tines of a fork to make a design around the top.
- Place on a baking sheet. Cook in a pre heated oven 450 degrees F or 230 degrees C for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in sealed airtight containers.