Saudi Stuffed Onions
Wonderful Saudi Stuffed Onions main dish.
- 750g large onions
- 300g minced meat
- ¼ cup or 50g Egyptian rice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 small onion or 100g, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon of each spice: black pepper, cumin and coriander powder
- 1½ tablespoons tamarind concentrate (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups or 500ml hot water
- 2 cubes MAGGI Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peel and boil the onions until soft. Then carefully remove each layer of the onions and set aside.
- Place the minced meat in a bowl, add rice, ghee, grated onion, garlic and season with the spices. Mix until well combined.
- Stuff the onion layers with the meat mixture.
- Place the leftover onion on the bottom of a large pot and arrange the stuffed onions over them.
- Dissolve the tamarind and tomato paste in the water and pour over the onions.
- Add the MAGGI Chicken Stock cubes and oil. Bring to boil, cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, or until onions and rice are cooked.