Header Ads

Lokum - Turkish delight

Lokum  - Turkish delight

Turkish Delight - lokum, or loukoum is a confection made from starch and sugar. It is often flavored with rosewater and lemon, the former giving it a characteristic pale pink color. It has a soft, jelly-like and sometimes sticky consistency, and is often packaged and eaten in small cubes that are dusted with icing sugar or copra to prevent sticking. Some types contain small nut pieces, usually pistachio, hazelnut or walnuts. Other common types include flavors such as cinnamon or mint.

For a slice of Turkey, try these sweet treats flavored with rosewater. This easy Turkish Delight recipe will tempt you.

Makes 25 pieces

Ingredients

Olive oil spray
860g (4 cups) caster sugar
1L (4 cups) water
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
3 tbs gelatine powder
130g (1 cup) cornflour
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp rosewater essence
Red food colouring
300g (2 cups) icing sugar mixture

Instructions

Spray a square 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with olive oil spray to grease. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.

Place the sugar and 500ml (2 cups) of the water in a large heavy-based saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Place a sugar thermometer in the pan. Increase heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, brushing down the side of the pan occasionally with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 25 minutes or until the sugar thermometer reaches 125°C. Stir in the lemon juice.

Meanwhile, place the gelatine, cornflour and cream of tartar in a large saucepan. Use a balloon whisk to whisk in a little of the remaining water to form a paste. Gradually whisk in the remaining water. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.

Gradually pour the sugar syrup into the cornflour mixture, whisking constantly (if the mixture becomes lumpy, pour through a fine sieve into another saucepan).

Reduce heat to low. Place the sugar thermometer in the saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking to the base of the pan, for 1 hour or until the mixture is light golden and sugar thermometer reaches 110°C. Add the rosewater and a few drops of the food colouring and stir until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.

Set aside to cool to room temperature and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight until firm.

Pour the icing sugar mixture onto a large chopping board. Turn the lokum onto the icing sugar and use a lightly greased knife to cut into 3cm pieces. Toss the lokum in the icing sugar to coat. Serve.

7 comments:

  1. This is my favorite sweet of all time, but I only have them during Christmas holiday as I am known to eat the entire batch.

    I've read your blog for a long time now, but thought it time to post a comment or two. I really appreciate all of the recipes you have posted. Thank you very much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these a few times... I love the lemon flavored ones. Thanks for the recipe. I sometimes purchase a similar style candy from Liberty Orchards
    http://www.libertyorchards.com/category/Fruit_Delights

    It isn't exactly the same, but fairly close. The texture is same. I will be trying this recipe soon. I love to make candy and I'm always looking for a new one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks my friend i took my turkish coffee in my hand came to your blog wht ve new recipe....wht is this ohhhhh my god our lokum looking me from your blog....as şf i felt before and came to with coffee...how can i thank you...want to send to you all my cookies and cholate for thanks....really feel soooo happpyyyy.thanks my great friend....Allah bless and keep you for your family.they are so lucly like you ve dad....Thanks brother again....and really süper recipe and so wonderful translate..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks friends Jeannie, Some Kinda Wonderful, and Pasturkey for the comments.

    Jeannie: eat 3/4 of the batch and leave some peaces for others. Thanks for your comments. It's my pleasure.

    Some Kinda Wonderful: Don't eat too much leave some for the kids.Yes, the site you mentioned has the same stuff, it's a nice store.

    Pasturkey: As you know Lokum and Turkish coffee go great togother.

    By the way, these Turkish delights go great with biscuits, put it between two pieces of biscuit like a sandwich, it's yummy.

    I promise you for more recipes, I hope you will like them.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam my friend....i wait you.but you too wait my surprise for you.hope u ll like.walla big surprise...coming soon.cos in these days a little busy..bye with my best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about the surprise, but what's going to be, I don't know, I should wait ... . I know you are so nice. Today I was so busy at work preparing a presentation about Information Technology for the Board of Directors.

    bye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck my friend....i dont say...cs surpriseeeeeee...wait my friend....:))))))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Enjoy Middle Eastern and Lebanese Recipes! :)

Powered by Blogger.