Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 100g Turkish delight, coarsely chopped
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) thin cream
- 7 egg yolks
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp rosewater
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place six 185ml (3/4-cup) capacity ovenproof ramekins or cups in a large roasting pan. Sprinkle the bases of the ramekins with Turkish delight.
- Place cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture simmers (do not boil).
- Meanwhile, use a balloon whisk to whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and rosewater in a medium bowl until combined.
- Whisk cream into egg-yolk mixture. Pour evenly among ramekins. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until just set. Remove ramekins from the roasting pan and set aside for 2 hours to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 6 hours to set.
- Preheat grill on high. Sprinkle brulees with brown sugar. Cook under grill for 2-3 minutes or until sugar bubbles and caramelises. Serve immediately.
Turkish delight is available from delicatessens and Middle Eastern food stores. Rosewater is available from specialty spice outlets. If it's unavailable substitute 1 tsp rosewater essence.
Good Taste - October 2005, Page 154
Recipe by Sarah Hobbs