Vegetable Biryani Recipe - How to Make Vegetable Biryani
Quick and easy recipe for Authentic Indian Vegetable Biryani. Learn how to make and prepare a delicious, simple and spicy vegetable biryani dish - cook it in the Indian kitchen.
Biryani, biriani, or beriani (Arabic بریانی) recipe is a set of rice-based foods made with spices, rice (usually basmati) and meat, fish, eggs or vegetables. The name is derived from the Persian word beryā(n) (بریان) which means "fried" or "roasted".
Biryani was brought to the Indian Subcontinent by Muslim travelers and merchants. Local variants of this dish are not only popular in South Asia but also in Arabia and within various Indian communities in Western countries.
Preparation time : 35 minutes
Cooking time : 35 minutes
For the rice:
2½ cups water or 625 ml
2 cubes MAGGI® Seasoning for White Rice
2 cups basmati rice or 400 g
For the vegetables:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 medium onions or 250 g, sliced
1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 large carrot or 200 g, cut into medium cubes
½ cup frozen green peas or 80 g, thawed
1 cup frozen green beans or 160 g, thawed and cut
¾ cup water or 185 ml
1 medium green bell pepper or 150 g, cut into medium cubes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 medium tomatoes or 300 g, diced
3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, place water, MAGGI® Seasoning for White Rice cubes and rice. Stir occasionally to boil then cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until rice is almost cooked. Remove from pot and spread the cooked rice in a large platter and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in another medium saucepan. Add caraway seeds and stir for seconds until caraway starts spluttering then add onion and stir until golden in color.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir for seconds then add carrot, green peas and green beans; stir for 3 minutes then add water. Cover and simmer until vegetables are almost cooked and water is evaporated.
- Add bell pepper, red chili powder, turmeric and tomato and stir occasionally for 10 minutes. Add mint and coriander and fold with the vegetable mix.
- Combine the cooked rice and the vegetable mix gently and place the mixture in a clean pot. Cover with aluminum foil and with a tight fitting lid and place in a very low heat for 30 minutes then serve.
Serving tips : Serve with low fat yogurt salad (Raita).
Lamb biryani with raita - kuwaiti chicken biryani
Save and share Vegetable Biryani Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.