Sunday, November 7, 2010
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Aubergine and chestnut tagine with herb couscous recipe. Enjoy tasty Moroccan food and learn how to make Aubergine and chestnut tagine with herb couscous. This is a flavoursome vegetarian tagine.
Ready in 1 1/4 hours
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
50g dates, finely chopped
2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
500g (about 2 small) aubergines, cut into 2cm cubes
600g pumpkin or squash, deseeded and cut into 3cm cubes
200g pack cooked, peeled chestnuts
2 x 400g cans good plum tomatoes
Handful each chopped fresh mint and coriander, plus extra coriander to garnish
Juice of 2 lemons
For the herb couscous
2 tbsp olive oil
5 shallots, sliced
Handful each finely chopped fresh coriander and parsley
1. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add ground coriander, turmeric and cinnamon and dry-fry for 1 minute. Add the oil, onion, chilli, garlic, dates and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
2. Add the aubergines, cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the pumpkin and chestnuts to coat in the spices. Add 100ml water and the tomatoes, breaking them up into chunks, and simmer, stirring, for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put the couscous into a bowl and season. Pour over 450ml boiling water, add half the oil and stir once. Cover and set aside for 5-10 minutes, until the couscous is tender. Fluff up the couscous with a fork.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until soft and golden. Stir into the couscous with the fresh herbs. Season to taste.
5. Stir the herbs and lemon juice into the tagine. Serve with the couscous.
Per serving: 392kcals, 12g fat (1.7g saturated), 9.5g protein, 66g carbs, 13.8g sugar, 0.2g salt
Moroccan meatballs with herb couscous recipe - Chickpea tagine with figs - Okra Chickpea Tagine
Save and share Aubergine and chestnut tagine with herb couscous recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.