Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice Recipe
|Photo: Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice Recipe |
Tyler Anderson/National Post
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice Recipe. Enjoy the Middle Eastern Cuisine and learn how to make Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice.
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2½ tbsp barberries or currants (see note)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2½ lbs chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on or one whole chicken, quartered
- 10 cardamom pods
- ¼ tsp whole cloves
- 2 2/3″ long cinnamon sticks, broken in two
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2¼ cups boiling water
- 1½ tbsp flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ cup dill leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt mixed with 2 tbsp olive oil, optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add barberries and set aside to soak. (This isn’t necessary if you are using currants.)
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat, in a large, deep skillet that has a tight fitting lid. Add onions and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove onions and reserve. Wipe out pan.
3. Place chicken in a large bowl and season with 1½ tsp each salt and pepper. Add remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Use your hands to mix everything together well. Heat the skillet again and add chicken and spices. Sear 5 minutes on each side and then remove from pan. Remove all but about 2 tbsp oil from pan. Spices can stay in the pan or cling to chicken. Add rice, reserved onions, 1 tsp salt, and plenty of black pepper. Drain the barberries and add them as well. Stir well and return seared chicken to pan, pushing it into the rice.
4. Pour boiling water over rice and chicken, cover pan and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat, remove lid, place a tea towel over the pan and cover with lid again. Leave undisturbed another 10 minutes. Finally, add the herbs and use a fork to stir them in the fluff the rice. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot or warm, with or without yogurt. Makes 4 servings
Note: Barberries, an Iranian dried berry, can be found at Middle Eastern grocery stores.
Source: National Post
More from the Lebanese Recipes Kitchen:
Chicken Hashweh with Vegetable Stuffing
Layered Pomfret & Rice ( Kuwaiti style
Lamb Steaks with Moroccan Spiced Rice
Chicken & Couscous One-pot
Garlic and yogurt marinated chicken
Lamb with chickpea and almond rice
Save and share Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.