Great vegetarian Pumpkin Soup (Shourbet ya’teen).
- 2 ½ pints (1.25 liters) Basic Meat Broth plus meat
- 2 lb (1kg) pumpkin, peeled and sliced
- ½ tablespoon ghee (butter)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- Bring the Basic Meat Broth to the boil. Add the pumpkin and cook slowly until tender – about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Melt ghee in a small saucepan and add the flour stirring gently until the flour begins to brown. Add a little broth to the flour mixture and stir well. Transfer the flour mixture to the flour mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the flour mixture to the broth and pumpkin. Purée with a strainer or blender, return to the heat and bring back to the boil. Adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.