Warbat (Middle Eastern Cheese Puffs). This specialty dessert requires a little bit of love and time, but it is unique and will be a great treat for your next dinner.
- 1 15oz tub of ricotta cheese
- 1 package phyllo dough (make sure they are thin sheets)
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- 1 cup of simple syrup:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 teaspoon rose or orange blossom water
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- First, make the syrup. Dissolve the sugar in the water and add the lemon juice. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally until syrup slightly thickens (about 10 minutes). Add rose water towards the end of the cooking time. Let stand to cool and set aside.
- Next, prepare the ingredients to be assembled. Make sure the phyllo dough is thawed completely; set package of dough on flat surface (where you will assemble the warbat) and cover so dough does not dry out.
- Melt the stick of butter and set aside, you will use a brush to apply the butter to the dough.
- Make sure the ricotta is ready to use (you will use one tablespoon of ricotta per puff) Have a cookie sheet sprayed with oil and the oven preheated to 350 degrees F.
- Now, you are ready to assemble. Take one sheet and place it flaton your table. Apply butter with a brush on half of the sheet, making sure to do this carefully, as the sheet is sensitive. Fold the buttered sheet in half forming a square. Brush a little more butter on the folded half. Then fold sheet a second time to form a long rectangle and brush on more butter. Now take one end of the rectangle and add 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese. Now fold to one side and then to other. Keep doing this until a triangle is formed. Brush butter on top and place on cookie sheet. Keep doing this until you run out of phyllo sheets or ricotta, usually this recipe will make about 10 to 12 Warbat.
- When they are all assembled, bake them for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of simple syrup on top of the hot Warbat, let them cool and enjoy!