Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Baked egg custard
Ingredients (serves 4)
3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
450ml cream or half milk, half cream
60g caster sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Beat the whole eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract together lightly (you don't want them to become too frothy).
3. Place the cream in a pan with the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Heat to just below boiling point then pour onto the eggs and stir to combine. Strain through a sieve into a 1-litre (4-cup) capacity baking dish.
4. Stand in a roasting pan half-filled with hot water. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Bake for about 30-35 minutes: it should still wobble slightly.
5. Serve hot, warm or chilled with poached fruits, a dollop of jam or just on its own.
delicious. - April 2002, Page 69
Recipe by Valli Little
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.