Thursday, October 1, 2009
Potato and Green Onion Latkes With Ranch Sour Cream
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Makes 8 to 10 servings
3 pounds Idaho or russet potatoes, peeled and rinsed under cold water
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (including green tops)
1 1-ounce packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Peanut or grape seed oil, for frying
1. Fill large bowl with cold water and have a colander ready. Using box grater or food processor fitted with coarse grating disk, coarsely grate potatoes.
2. Place in cold water 1 minute then drain potatoes in colander. Rinse potatoes under cold water once or twice until water runs clear. This removes starch and keeps potatoes from turning a reddish color. Use your hands or back of broad spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible, and then roll grated potatoes in clean dish towel or several layers of paper towels to completely blot them dry. Dry bowl and transfer potatoes to bowl.
3. Mix green onions with potatoes. In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning mix with flour, baking powder and pepper. Mix flour mixture into potatoes. (Use immediately or cover and set aside at room temperature up to 1 hour.) Just before frying add beaten egg and mix to combine.
4. Combine remaining seasoning mix with sour cream and stir until smooth and completely combined. Set aside up to 1 hour or refrigerate until ready to serve as a topping for latkes.
5. Preheat oven to 250°F. Have large wire rack set ready in rimmed baking sheet. Pour enough oil into 1 or 2 large, heavy frying pans, preferably cast iron, to cover bottom of pan by 1/4 inch. Heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Scoop about 1/4 cup potato mixture and gently place in pan. Use spatula to lightly flatten and form pancake. Form as many pancakes in pan as will comfortably fit without crowding. Fry on one side until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and brown other side, about 3 minutes longer. Adjust heat and add more oil as needed to fry additional batches. Transfer latkes to wire rack and keep warm in oven while frying additional batches. Serve immediately or continue to keep warm until ready to serve. Serve with Ranch Sour Cream.
Recipe created by cookbook author Diane Morga
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.