Lebanese Hushwee Rice with Toasted Pine Nuts Recipe
|Lebanese Hushwee Rice with Toasted Pine Nuts|
A family recipe passed down for generations, Hushwee Rice is a humble Lebanese side dish made with rice and beef flavored with warm cinnamon, clarified butter and toasted pine nuts.
The real star of the dish? A generous helping of pine nuts toasted until nutty and golden brown. This dish is rich, it is aromatic, it is comfort food at its finest. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t love it and I urge you to challenge me on that.
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total time 35 mins
4 servings Lebanese Hushwee - prepared
2 tablespoons clarified butter
¼ cup vermicelli noodles
1 cup long grain enriched rice - parboiled (rinsed)
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup Diamond of California pine nuts - toasted
minced parsley - to serve
- Prepare Lebanese Hushwee and set aside.
- While hushwee meat is browning, melt clarified butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add vermicelli noodles and toast until deep brown.
- Stir in rinsed rice and cook for 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the rice. Add reserved hushwee to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, salt and pepper to the pot and stir once. Bring to a boil then cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, leaving the lid on the entire time.
- Fluff rice and meat with a fork then serve with additional toasted pine nuts and fresh parsley.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 414 Fat: 20.1 g Saturated fat: 8.8 g Unsaturated fat: 11.3 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 38 g Sugar: 1.2 g Sodium: 821 mg Fiber: 1.9 g Protein: 19.9 g Cholesterol: 71 mg
Source: The lemon Bowl