Spicy Rice for Fish (Ruz lissumak)
Spicy Rice for Fish (Ruz lissumak) is a Lebanese main dish served with fish pieces on top of the rice.
- ¼ cup olive or nut oil
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 2 cups rice, washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups boiling water
- ¼ teaspoon powdered saffron
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and lightly fry the pine nuts. Remove and set aside. Lightly brown the onions in the same oil. Add the rice and salt, and sauté for a few minutes.
- Pour in the boiling water and saffron. Allow to bubble for a few seconds, cover tightly and turn down to a low simmer. Cook until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender – approx 20 minutes.
- To serve, turn onto a platter, sprinkle with the pine nuts and garnish with fish pieces. Alternatively, serve as an accompaniment to a fish dish.