- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste)
- 4 cups semolina or cream of wheat
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup sweet syrup (Kater)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange blossom water
- Nammura: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch cake pan with the tahini.
- Mix the semolina, yogurt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the coconut and almonds on top. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Naummura will get too hard if you over bake it so keep a watch over it as oven temps vary.
- When done, cut into small squares while still in the pan. Spoon cold honey syrup over the hot nammura. Let cool to room temperature for one hour, then serve.
Makes about 3 dozen small squares. Approximately 137 calories per square.
This dessert is common to the Middle Eastern area. It may be found made with pine nuts as this is quite common. Almonds are used in this recipe and pose a smaller risk for allergic reactions.