The real thing will be marked with 'tradizionale' and/or DOC and will be expensive. You can also buy the more afforable, industrially made 'aceto balsamico di Modena', which uses vinegar as well as grape must; as it's not aged for so long, the flavours won't be as strong.
All year round.
Choose the best
For the real deal, always look for the trems tradizionale/DOC or aceto balsamico di Modena. Very cheap balsamic vinegars are just masquerading as either of the above and will have been coloured and flavoured with caramel - although they're fine for salad dressings and glazes, they won't have the authentic intensity of flavour.
In a cool, dark cupboard.
Add just a few drops (connoisseurs use a pipette) of tradizionale to ripe strawberries, slices of well-aged parmesan cheese or very good quality vanilla ice cream. Brush aceto balsamico di Modena over roasting chicken or duck breasts, shake some over grilled tuna steaks, drizzle over tomato salads or stir a little into a roast vegetable pasta sauce.
Can't find itTry sherry vinegar or wine vinegar.
- Balsamic has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which make it an effective remedy for treating infections and wounds.
- Folk healers used balsamic to cure body pain and as energizer.
- Balsamic vinegar contains powerful antioxidant called polyphenols which fight cell damage and boost our immune system.
- The antioxidant in balsamic have also the potential to protect against heart disease, cancer, and other inflammatory conditions.
- Balsamic can help boost the activity of the digestive enzyme pepsin thus improving metabolism.
- Balsamic may help control diabetes. Study suggests that by adding as little as five teaspoons of the vinegar with a meal can improve insulin sensitivity. Better insulin sensitivity means better diabetes control and lowered risk of dangerous complications.
- Balsamic can reduce cholesterol level.
- Balsamic antioxidant may slow the aging process.
- Balsamic reduces the frequency of headaches.
- Balsamic contains important minerals that can strengthen the bones.
- Balsamic can help prevent anemia and fatigue.
- Balsamic can help suppress appetite and therefore an aid in controlling weight.
Want to share this post with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.