Monday, December 20, 2010
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Cassata ice-cream cake recipe. Enjoy Christmas dessert recipes and learn how to make Cassata ice-cream cake.
Cassata, like pizza, comes from Italy, so finish the night with a slice of this colourful layered fruit, ice-cream and chocolate creation.
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8)
Olive oil spray
1 x 17cm bought plain single-square sponge cake (see note)
2 tbs Galliano amaretto liqueur
1 x 2L ctn Neapolitan ice-cream
45g (1/4 cup) dried mixed fruit
2 tbs coarsely grated dark chocolate
Cocoa powder, to dust
1. Spray a 6cm-deep, 20 x 10cm (base measurement) loaf pan with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 long sides with plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang.
2. Use a serrated knife to cut the cake in half horizontally. Halve each piece lengthways to make 4 cake rectangles.Line the base of the prepared pan with 1 cake rectangle. Press down slightly. Use 2 cake rectangles to line the 2 long sides. Halve the remaining cake rectangle crossways and use to line the 2 short sides. Trim excess and use to fill any gaps. Brush the cake with amaretto.
3. Transfer the strawberry ice-cream to a bowl. Set aside to soften slightly. Spread over the cake base. Smooth the surface. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
4. Transfer the vanilla ice-cream to a bowl. Set aside to soften slightly. Add the fruit and chocolate, and fold until just combined. Spoon into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
5. Transfer the chocolate ice-cream to a bowl. Set aside to soften slightly. Spoon into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface. Trim the excess cake. Cover with overhanging plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 2 hours or overnight, or until firm.
6. Turn out the cake onto a serving platter and remove the plastic wrap. Dust with cocoa powder. Cut into slices to serve.
Time plan tip: Prepare this recipe to the end of step 5 up to 1 day ahead. Continue from step 6 just before serving.
Square sponge cakes are available from some Woolworths. If unavailable, use 1 x 450g pkt Madeira cake instead and cut into 4 slices lengthways in step 2.
Good Taste - June 2008, Page 71
Recipe by Gemma Luongo
More Christmas Dessert Recipes
Berry sundaes with white chocolate sauce
Berry meringue smash
Fruity Christmas biscotti
Christmas pie recipe
Pistachio & Almond Baklava
Save and share Cassata ice-cream cake recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.