Enjoy radiant skin during the holy month of Ramadan
Taking care of your skin to ensure you still stay glowing and bright can sometimes be a source of concern during Ramadan. The summer heat and fasting may lead you to think that your beautiful skin could become dull as your body loses important vitamins and minerals.
But you don’t have to worry, because by making sure you have the right nutrients at Iftar and Suhour you can stay positively radiant all through this blessed season of goodness.
A simple tip is to ensure that your diet includes a range of foods. If your food intake is limited to only certain few foods, your skin will become dry and dull. This is because certain nutrients are needed for the growth and repair of the skin just like your hair and nails. So the more you take care of your eating habits during this holy month, the healthier your skin will become.
Essential nutrients that help you maintain healthy skin
- Vitamin A: One of the most important vitamins for skin health, it prevents skin dryness and dehydration in addition to giving your skin a smooth, soft texture. Carrots are the richest source of vitamin A, which is also available in apricots, spinach and green leafy vegetables. So, during Ramadan it is good to include fresh carrot juice in your juices menu at least once a week and add them to your salad at Iftar. Other vitamin A rich food ideas include spinach or mouloukhieh stew as your main dish, and tabouleh or rocca salad as starters for Iftar.
- B Vitamins: A deficiency of these vitamins can lead to skin dehydration, the early appearance of wrinkles and premature aging. Important sources of B vitamins are meat, legumes and whole grains. So include lean meat, grilled chicken, and fish in your main meal as they are the richest sources. Get the benefit of whole grains by replacing white bread with whole wheat bread. And do not forget to add lentil soup and beans stew to your menu list at Iftar.
- Vitamin E: Another essential vitamin, it helps minimise the appearance of wrinkles and enhances cell regeneration. Vitamin E is found in nuts and vegetable oils that you use in your cooking.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin plays an important role in maintaining the integrity and glow of the skin. Vitamin C rich fruit juices include orange, strawberries and melon juice.
- Antioxidants:In addition to the above antioxidants – vitamins A, C, E, Selenium and zinc are also antioxidants that play a role in protecting skin cells and maintaining healthy skin. Selenium and zinc are mainly found in meat and seafood, so enrich your Iftar with a delicious shrimp dish from time to time.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: These fats play a role in skin preservation and make your skin glow. These are essential fatty acids because the body cannot synthesise them making it necessary to obtain them from food, mainly fish. So include a fish-dish 2 times a week during your Iftar, but make sure you grill the fish rather than fry it.
- Water, water, water: It is essential to drink plenty of water to prevent your body and skin from dehydration, especially during Ramadan. Water also helps preserve your skin’s elasticity and protects you against the early appearance of wrinkles. Drink as much as 8 glasses between your Iftar and Suhour.
Good to Remember
Don’t forget to include fresh fruits and vegetables which add colour and variety to your Ramadan menu as they are rich in vitamins and minerals and are required for keeping your skin healthy and hydrated.
The holy month of Ramadan is a good time for you to prepare nutritious and varied meals. It’s the perfect time to make the most of this wonderful season by eating healthy to nourish your body and skin.
From Nestle Family
More Ramadan Health Articles:
Start your day in a healthy way with Suhour
How to make Iftar a perfect meal!
Celebrating a healthy Iftar
Avoid losing weight in Ramadan
Eat your sweets the right way in Ramadan
How to avoid gaining weight during Ramadan
Save and share Enjoy radiant skin during the holy month of Ramadan
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.