Osmallieh Recipe - How to make Osmallieh
|Photo: Osmallieh Recipe|
750 g Osmalieh pastry, very thin noodles
1 cup melted butter
For the ashta cream:
2 cups milk
2 cups whipping cream
6 slices American-style white bread
4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
For the sugar syrup:
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 teaspoon rose water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. To prepare the sugar syrup: put the sugar and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Leave to boil then add the lemon juice and keep on medium heat for 10 minutes until the syrup thickens. Add the orange blossom water and rose water. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
2. To prepare the ashta cream: Cut off the edges of the bread. Discard. Cut in dices the soft white part. Place the bread dices in a saucepan and pour the milk and whipping cream over them. Let the bread dices soak in the milk and cream mixture for at least 2 hr in the refrigerator. Put the saucepan on medium heat and, with a wooden spoon, start stirring the bread and milk mixture. Once the milk starts heating, add the water-dissolved cornstarch. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens. Once done, pour in a bowl and leave it to cool. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place the cream in the refrigerator in order to thicken before using it.
3. In a large bowl, combine the noodle dough with melted butter rubbing it with your hands until every strand is coated with butter.
4. Grease the bottom of a 30 cm diameter baking tray. Arrange half of the noodles at the bottom then spread the ashta cream over the surface and cover with the remaining noodles.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180˚C for about 30 min or until the bottom is golden.
6. Remove from oven and invert in a larger pan. Put back in the oven for 10 more min. Both sides should come out crisp and golden in color.
7. Pour the sugar syrup over it until full absorption.
8. Serve cut in 8 cm squares. Add more sugar syrup according to taste.
Adopted from Beirut Restaurants
Save and share Osmallieh Recipe - How to make Osmallieh
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.