|Sambusa with meat and cheese|
3 cups flour, white
1 tablespoon margarine, vegetarian
1 1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
500 grams veal, or lamb without fat, minced medium
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped into cubes approx 1/2 cm
1 hot pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons pine
Spices (ground): 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon mixed spices, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon sumac
Salt to taste
500 grams white cheese, Nabulsi or Akawi (medium salinity), coarse grated
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon Mistika (Mastic), grounded with 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix dough gently and let it rest for an hour.
- In a saucepan, fry pine in oil and set aside.
- Saute onion on low heat using the same sauce pan, add little salt and black pepper. Stirring until tender.
- Take 1/2 of the onion amount (without oil) and set aside.
- Raize the heat, add the meat, stirring quickly and crushing any lumbs.
- Add salt and spices except sumac and stir over high heat for several minutes, cover and simmer over low heat until cooked.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool, then add the rest of the onions, pine and sumac.
- Squeeze cheese by hand to get rid of the fluid, then mix all cheese filling together.
- Roll dough into a very thin thickness using a rolling pin and cut it into suitable circles. Fill each circle with the filling then form it into a semi-cirle and close it by pressing with your fingers.
- Place sambusa on a tray sprinkled with littte flour or cornstarch.
- Fry in batches in vegetable oil over medium heat until golden, lift and drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.