Bemieh bi Zayt (Okra in Oil)
Delicious and tasty Lebanese recipe of Bemieh bi Zayt (Okra in Oil). An easy to prepare main dish.
- 2 lb (1kg) fresh okra (tender)
- 4 medium-sized onions
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 lb (1 1/2 kg) ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground, dried coriander
- Cut off the stems of the okra then wash and drain.
- Sauté the okra, a few at a time, in oil until almost golden, then drain.
- Peel the onions and slice finely, then fry them with one whole peeled garlic bulb in the same oil that okra was fried in.
- When the onions and garlic are lightly browned, add the okra, diced tomatoes, salt and lemon juice.
- Crush the remaining garlic cloves with the dried coriander, and then add with the green coriander to the above ingredients.
- Pour half a cup of water over the okra and allow boiling over slow heat for half an hour without stirring.
- Garnish with slices of green pepper then serve cold.