- 1 can of chick peas
- 2 cups yoghurt (Laban)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Lebanese (Pita) bread
- Vegetable Oil
- Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Dried mint leaves
- 3 tbsp Pine nuts or silvered almonds
- 1 tbsp Butter (or clarified butter)
- Fried ground lamb meat (optional)
- Pour the yoghurt into a bowl and beat in the garlic and pepper to taste.
- Open out the bread and toast in a very hot oven until it is crisp and brown. Then break it up into the bottom a of the serving dish. Alternatively, you may cut the bread into triangles and deep fry in hot oil, then drain them on absorbent paper.
- Pour the chick peas and some of their water over the bread, soaking it thoroughly, keeping a few to decorate the dish. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chickpeas. Crush the mint leaves over them.
- To garnish, fry the pine nuts or almonds in sizzling butter until they are golden brown and sprinkle over the yoghurt with extra check peas.
- Add fried ground lamb meat on the top (optional).
- Serve at once with the chick peas hot and the rest lukewarm.