Fattet Hummos (also Fattet Hummus, Fattet Humus, Fattet Himmos, Fattet 7immos, Fatteh bi Hommos, arabic فتة حمص) is a rich Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian, Jordanian dish that is eaten usually as an appetizer before the main meal. This dish mainly consists of chickpeas, bread, and might be decorated with ground lamb meat.
- 1 can of chick peas
- 2 cups yoghurt (Laban)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Lebanese (Pita) bread
- Vegetable Oil
- Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Dried mint leaves
- 3 tbsp Pine nuts or silvered almonds
- 1 tbsp Butter (or clarified butter)
- Fried ground lamb meat (optional)
- Pour the yoghurt into a bowl and beat in the garlic and pepper to taste.
- Open out the bread and toast in a very hot oven until it is crisp and brown. Then break it up into the bottom a of the serving dish. Alternatively, you may cut the bread into triangles and deep fry in hot oil, then drain them on absorbent paper.
- Pour the chick peas and some of their water over the bread, soaking it thoroughly, keeping a few to decorate the dish. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chickpeas. Crush the mint leaves over them.
- To garnish, fry the pine nuts or almonds in sizzling butter until they are golden brown and sprinkle over the yoghurt with extra check peas.
- Add fried ground lamb meat on the top (optional).
- Serve at once with the chick peas hot and the rest lukewarm.