Maamool with Walnuts
This is Maamool with Walnuts recipe. The other one is Maamool with dates recipe.
- 2 cups smeed (semolina)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups samneh (or other shortening)
- 1 tsp. ma'ez zahr (orange blossom essence)
- 1 tsp. rose water
- 3/4 cup fine sugar
- 1 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Make dough of smeed, samneh and boiling water. Knead well together. Cover tightly and leave overnight.
- On the second day knead again thoroughly and form into small balls. Hollow out their centers. Fill the hollow with mixture of sugar, nuts and flavorings.
- Press the dough back over the filling. Press each cookie onto a buttered baking pan and flatten and decorate with the tines of a fork. Or, shape the dough in the carved molds made in Lebanon especially for this purpose. Bake in moderate oven until lightly browned. Dust liberally with powdered sugar while hot.