This delicious German chocolate cake is made with a German chocolate cake mix, pecans, coconut, confectioners sugar, butter, and cream cheese. German chocolate upside down cake recipe.
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- eggs, water, and oil as directed on package
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, about 3 3/4 cups, unsifted
- Grease and flour a 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Prepare cake mix with the appropriate measurements of water, oil, and eggs, following the package directions. Pour the cake batter over the coconut and pecans. Beat together the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar; drop by spoonfuls over the top of cake batter. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the cake portion.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. To serve, cut into individual serving-size pieces and, using a spatula or cake server, remove from the pan and turn upside-down on dessert plates.