Sfiha (Arabic: صفيحة sfīḥah), also known as "Arab Pizza", is an Arab pizza-like dish originating from the Arabian Peninsula and Levant, and introduced in Brazil by Levantine immigrants, where it is known as esfiha. Enjoy Arabian food and learn how to make best Sfiha.
SERVES 4 -9 , 9 mini pizzas
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups all-purpose bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried mint or oregano (optional) or anise, seeds. (optional)
2 egg whites
1 chili pepper, finely chopped
18 ounces ground lamb or beef
3/4 cup yogurt
3 tablespoons pomegranate concentrate
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper
1/3 cup pine nuts (or chopped walnuts)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1/2 cup of the water, leave in a warm place for 10 minutes, or until it begins to froth.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the olive oil. Add the yeast mixture and slowly add enough of the remaining water to hold the dough together in a ball.
- Knead vigorously for about 10 minutes until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl and becomes smooth and elastic. Towards the end of the kneading, add the flavorings, if desired.
- Pour a small amount (1/2 tablespoon) of olive oil in the bowl and roll the dough in it to grease it over.
- Leave in a warm area for 1-1/2 - 2 hours. (should be doubled in size).
- Cut the dough into 9 pieces and roll each out thinly on a flat floured surface. Roll out to 7 inch circles.
- Place the rounds on oiled baking sheets and brush with egg whites. Cook in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, turn over and brush the other side with egg whites. cook for another 8 minutes.
- Let them cool enough to handle.
- Mix the filling ingredients together and work with your hands into a soft paste. Take even lumps of the mixture and spread thickly over each pastry round.
- Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Spinach & feta filo pie | Open meat and tomato pies (Sfiha) | Spinach Pie | Moroccan Chicken Pie | Potato Pie | Falafel Omelet Pie in the Oven