- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 (.25 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups oil for frying
- Make a syrup by stirring the water, sugar, and lemon juice together in a saucepan over medium heat until thick; set aside to cool.
- Make a filling by combining the ricotta cheese and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Make the dough by mixing together the flour and the yeast. Stir the water into the flour mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking to remove any lumps, until the mixture reaches a pourable consistency; allow to rest 1 hour.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Ladle 2 to 3 ounces of batter at a time into the center of the skillet into a round shape. Each katayef shell is finished when the top is dry and the bottom is slightly browned.
- Fill each shell with an equal portion of the cheese mixture. Fold one end of the shell over the cheese mixture and seal into a semi-circle shape by pinching along the edges.
- Heat the frying oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Fry the katayef in the oil until crispy and lightly browned; immerse in the syrup to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Day life during Ramadan - Preparing Katayef
Katayef Recipe Video...