Lamb biryani with raita
A delicious one-pot wonder, biryani can be served on its own or as part of a banquet.
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 85 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8)
1kg lamb leg steak, cut into 3cm pieces
130g (1/2 cup) Greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
3 large fresh green chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp saffron threads
2 tbs milk, warmed
3 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
300g (1 1/2 cups) basmati rice
6 green cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
500ml (2 cups) water
Cucumber & tomato raita
520g (2 cups) Greek-style yogurt
1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1 garlic clove, crushed
1. Combine the lamb, yoghurt, coriander, mint, green chilli, garlic, ginger, chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Cover and place in the fridge.
2. Meanwhile, soak the saffron in the milk for 5 minutes. Melt the ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Add the rice, cardamom pods and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside, without removing the lid, for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir through the saffron mixture.
3. Spread the rice over the base of a 4L (12-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Top with the lamb mixture. Cover and bake for 50 minutes at 180°C or until the lamb is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, to make the cucumber & tomato raita, combine the yoghurt, cucumber, tomato, coriander, mint and garlic in a bowl.
5. Serve the biryani with the cucumber and tomato raita.
Notes & tips
Prep: 30 mins (+ 15 mins standing time)
Good Taste - November 2006, Page 111
Recipe by Michelle Southan
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.