Traditional Moroccan Lamb Tagine - Fabulous Moroccan Lamb Tagine recipe. Spicy, tangy, moreish, juicy, tender. One serving is never enough and reheating just makes it even more delicious.
The beauty of this dish is that, like all spicy casseroles, it actually benefits from being made the day before and reheated, or may be frozen well in advance of the party. A delicious vegetarian tagine can be prepared by omitting the lamb, increasing the quantities of vegetables and adding 2 cans of drained chick peas. The couscous can be prepared in advance. Before serving, dot with butter, cover and reheat in the bottom of the oven or in a microwave.
Preparation time : 30 minutes plus 2 hours soaking
Cooking time : 1 hour 45 minutes
Total time : 4 hours 15 minutes
Ingredients - Serves 8
100g Waitrose Sun Dried Turkish Whole Apricots, halved
3tbsp olive oil
4 x 340g packs diced leg of lamb
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground cinnamon
400g can Waitrose Italian Cherry Tomatoes
300ml tub Joubère Lamb Stock
Pinch saffron threads
Salt to taste
3tbsp Waitrose Ground Almonds
4 large courgettes, cut into large pieces
1 butternut squash, weighing approximately 500g, peeled and diced
4 tomatoes, skinned and quartered
2tsp Bart Spices Harissa
2tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
500g pack Waitrose Couscous, prepared as directed on the packet
1. Place the apricots in a bowl and cover with 150ml boiling water. Leave to soak for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Heat 2tbsp of the olive oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the lamb in batches then set aside. Add the remaining oil and the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and golden. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes then return the lamb to the casserole.
3. Add the apricots and their soaking liquid, the canned tomatoes and stock. Stir in the saffron, salt and ground almonds. Heat to simmering point, cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
4. Add the courgettes, squash, tomatoes and harissa with a little extra water if necessary and cook in the oven for a further 45 minutes.
5. Season to taste adding extra harissa if desired, then stir in the parsley and serve with couscous.
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.