Mahshi malfouf is an arabic common dish. This recipe of mahshi malfouf rolls (Stuffed Cabbage) is very delicious, you should try!
- 1 Medium Cabbage
- 1 ½ cups ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 cup short grain rice
- Garlic, you need few whole garlic cloves peeled and some minced.
- Optional, you may use whole head of garlic with the peel in between the layers
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of the following spices: Cumin, Caraway, Coriander, Cinnamon, Salt and Black Pepper. You may all the above spices or omit whichever you do not like to use.
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup Lemon juice
- 1 cup water or as needed
- Wash and drain rice
- Mix up the ground meat, diced onions and rice; add cooking oil and the spices (Cumin, Caraway, Coriander, Salt and Black Pepper) set aside.
- Prepare your cabbage leaves by separating the leaves from the cabbage head. Cut away stems, save them and use them at the bottom of the pot.
- Boil the leaves a few at a time in boiling salted water until they are soft enough to roll.
- Prepare stuffing of meat, rice, salt, pepper and the above spices
- Cut the leaves to form a cigar size roll. Place stuffing on each leaf, fold sides toward center and roll up from bottom into a cigar shape (similar with stuffed vine leaves). Do not over stuff; make sure that you have space for the rice to expand inside the cabbage rolls.
- Press together firmly. Place layer of the saved stems
- Place the whole garlic heads in between the rolled Malfouf.
- Sprinkle with salt, caraway and cumin in between layers. Add water, boil then simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. Half way through the cooking time add crushed garlic on top. Let simmer. Simmer gently until rice is tender in barely enough water to cover. Invert your pot in a platter
- You may serve this dish hot or at room temperature, depends on your personal taste.
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.