Quick and Easy recipe for vegetarian moussaka. Learn how to make best middle eastern vegetarian moussaka. This recipe consists of eggplant, olive, onion, garlic, red capsicum, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, oregano, basil, black pepper, low fat ricotta cheese, Light & Creamy Evaporated Milk, potatoes, low fat cheese, bread rolls, and green salad.
Ingredients - serves 6
1 eggplant, sliced
olive or canola oil spray
1 onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, crushed
1/2 red capsicum, deseeded and diced
2 zucchini, diced
6 button mushrooms, diced
440 g tomatoes, diced
150 g tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp basil, dried
salt and freshly ground black pepper
375 g low fat ricotta cheese
150 mL NESTLÉ CARNATION Light & Creamy Evaporated Milk
5 potatoes, diced and par-cooked (preferably steamed)
1/4 cup low fat cheese, grated
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), sliced
4 large bread rolls
How to make Vegetarian Moussaka
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grill or barbecue grill plate to medium-high heat.
- Lightly spray eggplant with oil and grill or barbecue, turning once, for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Set aside.
- Spray a frypan with oil and cook onion, garlic and capsicum over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce and herbs, season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Combine ricotta cheese and milk in a bowl.
- Cover the base of a lasagne dish with a layer of potato slices, followed by a layer of eggplant, then a layer of vegetable mix.
- Repeat, then top with ricotta cheese mix.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, then evenly place sun-dried tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with bread rolls and salad.
- Option: To make this a complete vegetarian meal, add 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP) mince to vegetable mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup water to re-hydrate TVP.
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.