Sunday, November 7, 2010
Easy Pita Pizzas
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Easy Pita Pizzas Recipe. Enjoy tasty Middle Eastern food and learn how to make Easy Pita Pizzas.
With this clever pizza recipe, you don't have any pizza crust dough to prepare -- you simply use pita bread rounds as an excellent substitute. You can top the lightly broiled pita rounds with any ingredients that you prefer, but this recipe encourages you to use chicken or turkey to reduce some of the fat ordinarily found in meat pizzas. Homemade pizza sauce, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic, and mozzarella cheese are used as toppings.
4 large pita bread rounds
1/2 pound ground raw turkey or chicken
3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2/3 cup chopped green sweet pepper
2/3 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil, margarine, or butter
1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
1. For pizza sauce, cook the 3/4 cup onion and 2 cloves garlic in oil. Stir in tomatoes; tomato sauce; bay leaf; basil; fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano; fennel seed, if using; sugar; and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
2. Meanwhile, place pita bread rounds on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat about 1 minute on each side or until toasted. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook ground turkey or chicken, mushrooms, green pepper, the 2/3 cup onion, and 2 cloves garlic until turkey is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain fat, if necessary. Stir in 1 cup of the pizza sauce and the dried oregano. (Reserve remaining sauce for another use.) Cook and stir until bubbly.
4. Divide turkey mixture evenly between the toasted pita bread rounds. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Return to broiler. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Makes 4 servings.
5. Make-ahead tip: Prepare pizza sauce; cool. Transfer to freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in rerigerator before using.
Recipe source BHG.com
Turkish Bread Pizza Recipe - Turkish Style Pizza Recipe - Lebanese Pizza... Lahm bi ajeen Recipe
Save and share Easy Pita Pizzas Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.