Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Chicken tagine with carrots & dates recipe
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Chicken tagine with carrots & dates Recipe. Enjoy tasty Moroccan food and learn how to make Chicken tagine with carrots & dates.
With tasty baby carrots, sweet dates and succulent chicken pieces, this dish has it all.
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 70 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
35g (1/3 cup) flaked almonds
3 tsp olive oil
8 chicken drumsticks
2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
1 bunch baby (Dutch) carrots, ends trimmed, peeled
85g (1/2 cup) dried pitted dates
2 tsp honey
Cooked couscous (optional), to serve
Ground cinnamon, to serve
Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread the almonds over a baking tray. Bake in oven for 4 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 6 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken, reheating the dish between batches.
3. Heat remaining oil in the dish over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the cumin, ginger and turmeric, and stir to coat.
4. Add the stock and tomato. Bring to the boil. Add the chicken, carrots and dates. Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in the honey. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide the chicken mixture and couscous, if desired, among serving dishes. Sprinkle with the almonds and cinnamon. Top with coriander to serve.
Freezing tip: Cool at the end of step 4. Transfer to an airtight container. Label, date and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place in a casserole dish. Bake, covered, until heated through. Continue from step 5.
To check the chicken in step 4, test with a fork to see if the meat comes easily away from the bone.
Good Taste - July 2008, Page 21
Recipe by Gemma Luongo
More Moroccan Tagine Recipes:
Chicken & chickpea tagine
Lamb and apricot tagine
Chicken and vegetable tagine
Lamb & broad bean tagine
Chicken & chickpea tagine
Save and share Chicken tagine with carrots & dates recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.