Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Lamb & broad bean tagine recipe
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Lamb & broad bean tagine Recipe. Enjoy tasty Moroccan food and learn how to make Lamb & broad bean tagine.
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 105 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tbs olive oil
4 (about 300g each) lamb shanks
2 large red onions, halved, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs ground cumin
1 7cm cinnamon stick
2 400g cans Italian diced tomatoes (La Gina brand)
250ml (1 cup) beef stock
375g (2 1/2 cups) shelled fresh broad beans
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
190g (1 cup) couscous
250ml (1 cup) boiling water
1 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh continental parsley
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Heat oil in flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add 2 lamb shanks and cook, turning, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Remove from dish, repeat with remaining shanks. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cumin and cinnamon, and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
2. Return lamb shanks to pan. Add tomatoes and stock. Cover, bring to the boil over high heat. Place in oven and cook, turning shanks occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours.
3. Meanwhile, cook broad beans in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Rinse under cold running water. Remove the skins. Place the broad beans in a bowl and set aside.
4. Uncover lamb and cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until lamb is falling off the bone and sauce reduces and thickens. Add the broad beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
5. Meanwhile, place couscous in a heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water while stirring with a fork. Cover, set aside for 3-4 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff grains with a fork. Add lemon rind, season with salt and pepper, and stir well to combine.
6. To serve, spoon couscous onto serving plates. Top with lamb shank, spoon over sauce and sprinkle with parsley.
Note: You will need about 1.2kg of fresh broad beans for this recipe.
Good Taste - August 2002, Page 80
Recipe by Kerrie Mullins
More Moroccan Tagine Recipes:
Chicken & chickpea tagine
Vegetable tagine with apricots
Chicken tagine with couscous
Fast chicken tagine
Save and share Lamb & broad bean tagine recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.