Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Rice and meat phyllo (Ouzi) Recipe
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Rice and meat phyllo (Ouzi) Recipe. Enjoy tasty & easy Middle Eastern food recipes and learn how to make Rice and meat phyllo (Ouzi).
1 Kilo meat, diced
4 Cups water
2 Carrots, peeled, seeded, diced
2 Celery sticks, diced
2 Onion (medium size), cut into big pieces
2 Bay leaves
3 Cardamom seeds
2 Cinnamon sticks
Salt and pepper
4 Tbs ghee
¼ Cup pine nuts
¼ Cup almond, peeled
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Cup green peas, boiled
2 Cups (pre-cooked) rice
Ghee for brushing
For serving, yogurt salad
In some countries, baby lamb is called OUZI, but in this recipe OUZI is for a dish prepared from phyllo (Fillo or filo) dough, rice and meat.
- Put water in a large pot over medium heat, add meat, vegetables, spices (seeds only),
Bring to a boil and skim foam from top as necessary.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is tender, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat ghee in a skillet over medium heat, add pine nuts and almond, stir until golden,
Transfer to a paper towel.
- Remove meat from stock, season with ground cloves and cinnamon.
- Mix green peas with rice, pine nuts, almond, and meat pieces. Season mixture with salt and pepper, stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a ramekin or medium size glass bowl (custard bowl).
- Cut phyllo dough into half.
- Place 1 sheet of the phyllo into the bowl allowing excess edges to extend out.
- Brush with butter then place another sheet to overlap and brush with butter.
- Fill with the meat mixture, Fold over the edges of the phyllo, pressing lightly to seal.
- Flip over into a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Repeat this process until the whole quantity of filling and phyllo are finished.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with yogurt salad and top with chopped parsley.
- In order to keep phyllo dough form drying, cover with plastic wrap, then a damp towel
- The filling can be served as a side dish.
- Rice can be cooked in meat stock.
More Middle Eastern Recipes:
Roasted Lamb Leg with Oriental Rice
Stuffed Baby Lamb
Roasted Chicken Stuffed with Rice
Beef, pumpkin and date tagine
Beef, date & honey tagine with almonds
Save and share Rice and meat phyllo (Ouzi) Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.