Falafel Sandwiches with Yogurt Sauce Recipe
Prep Time 60 min
Total Time 60 min
These gyro-style sandwiches, made with Progresso® chick peas and served in pita breads, bring Middle Eastern flavor to mealtime.
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 pita (pocket) breads (6 inch), cut in half to form pockets
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
16 slices cucumber
8 slices tomato
1 cup Yoplait® Fat Free plain yogurt (from 2-lb container)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat 3/4 cup water to boiling. Stir in bulgur; remove from heat. Cover; let stand 30 minutes or until tender. Drain; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor, place chick peas, cilantro, onions, flour, 3 tablespoons water, the cumin, baking powder, salt and garlic. Cover; process, using quick on-and-off pulses 10 times or until well blended and coarsely chopped (mixture will be wet). Spoon mixture into large bowl.
3. Stir bulgur into bean mixture. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, about 1/4 cup each; shape each portion into 1/4-inch-thick oval-shaped patty.
4. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Place 4 patties in skillet; cook 8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer patties to platter; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 4 patties.
5. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix sauce ingredients.
6. To serve, spread 2 tablespoons sauce in each pita pocket. Fill each with cucumber, tomato and falafel patty.
Patties can be baked at 400°F for 20 minutes on a greased cookie sheet, turning once, but they won’t have the crisp crust that comes from cooking on the stovetop.
The patties can be served in hamburger buns instead of pita bread.