Pomegranate Molasses Butter Cake Recipe
|Pomegranate Molasses Butter Cake|
Coat a tender butter cake with a pomegranate glaze and candied walnuts, and watch the whole thing disappear.
1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing pan
1 ½ cups flour, plus more for dusting pan
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses, plus 1 teaspoon
¾ cup granulated sugar, plus 4 teaspoons
3 large eggs
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
6 tablespoons light cream
¾ cup roughly chopped walnuts or pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch-square baking pan, dust lightly with flour and knock out excess.
- Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine milk and 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses.
- In a large bowl, cream together stick of butter and 3/4 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each until well combined.
- Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with milk mixture. (Begin and end with flour, and mix after each addition until just combined.)
- Pour batter into pan and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges, turn cake out onto a rack, and then turn right side up again.
- Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, and 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses. Brush glaze over cake, letting it drip down sides.
- In a small, preferably nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, combine nuts, 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses and 4 teaspoons sugar. Stir constantly and watch carefully until sugar melts and coats nuts, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle over top of cake.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
580 calories; 25 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 81 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 57 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 152 milligrams cholesterol; 341 milligrams sodium
Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.