Turkish Gozleme with Minced Lamb Recipe
|Turkish Gozleme with Minced Lamb|
Prep time 30 mins
Cook time 45 mins
Total time 1 hour 15 mins
Turkish Gozleme with Lamb - savoury homemade flatbreads from scratch filled with ground lamb, spices, herbs and feta cheese. Crazy good!
Author: Joanna Cismaru
2¼ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ lb ground lamb
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
½ cup fresh mint, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 medium tomato, chopped
lemon wedges and olives to serve
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and stir in the yogurt and water. Continue mixing with a spoon until everything is well combined. If the dough is too dry adjust by adding a bit more water, start with a tablespoon at a time.
- Flour your work surface and knead the dough for about 3 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the chopped onion and garlic. Saute onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the ground lamb to the skillet and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Stir in the tomato paste, coriander, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the spinach, stir everything together and cook for another 2 minutes. Let the meat mixture cool slightly.
- In the meantime divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each piece into a rectangle that's about 12x10 inches.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp of the lamb mixture in the middle of the rectangle and spread it out a bit. Add some fresh mint, green onions, fresh parsley, ¼ of the crumbled feta, and some chopped tomato. Fold over the edges of the dough to seal. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Depending on the size of your skillet, add 1 or 2 of the gozleme and cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Spray more cooking spray as needed.
- Cut each gozleme in half diagonally and serve with lemon wedges and olives.
Another alternative to making these if you do not want to make your own dough, is to use tortillas and make them just like you would make quesadillas, should save you time.
Serving size: 1 gozleme Calories: 501 Fat: 13.4g Saturated fat: 5.3g Unsaturated fat: 0.0g Trans fat: 0.0g Carbohydrates: 63.8g Sugar: 4.8g Sodium: 616mg Fiber: 5.0g Protein: 30.3g Cholesterol: 70mg