Shawarma Djaj -- Chicken Shawarma (Lebanon -- Middle East) recipe
|Shawarma Djaj -- Chicken Shawarma (Lebanon -- Middle East)|
By Sydney Mike
Total Time 50mins
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include the 3 hours needed for the chicken breasts to marinate.
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
1 lemon, juice of
1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (a 'scant' 1/2 cup)
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
4 pita bread, oval
4 tablespoons garlic sauce (see Thum -- Garlic Sauce (Lebanon -- Middle East) #373997)
2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 gherkins, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of onion, lemon juice, olive oil & spices, then add the thyme before adding the salt to taste.
- Stir well & then let marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then place chicken breasts in a roasting pan & bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven & shred the chicken into slivers.
- Open oval pitas at the seam to create a large pocket, then spread a tablespoon of garlic sauce on the bottom half before filling each pits with equal amounts of sandwich ingredients (i.e. chicken, tomato, onion, gherkins, mint & parsley).
- Wrap the bottom of the 'sandwiches' with a napkin & serve immediately.