Khaleeji Lamb Freeke
Khaleeji Lamb Freeke is a main dish in the Arabian gulf countries.
- 1 ½ kg lamb with bones, cut into medium pieces
- 1 sachet MAGGI Secrets Meat Marinade
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil mixed with ½ cup or 125ml water
- 6 ½ cups or 1625ml water
- 3 cubes MAGGI Chicken Stock
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 to 4 partially opened whole cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium size or 300g onions, diced
- 3 cups or 500g frikeh, rinsed well
- In a bowl, marinate the lamb pieces with MAGGI Secrets Meat Marinade, oil and water. Cover and place in fridge for at least 3 hours or maximum overnight.
- In a nonstick skillet, fry the lamb pieces on all sides until they become brown then add water.
- Add MAGGI Chicken Stock cubes, ginger powder, cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks. Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the meat and bones from the skillet, reserving the broth. Keep the meat warm.
- Melt butter in the skillet and sauté the onions for 4-5 minutes until it becomes tender.
- Measure around 5 ½ cups or 1375 ml from the meat broth and add to the frikeh, (if the stock is not enough add more water) then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat, around 25-30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and the frikeh is cooked.
- Remove the meat from the bones then serve the frikeh on an oval dish, topped with the pieces of lamb meat.