Shakshouka is typically eaten with a pita, like many other Middle Eastern dishes.
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4-5 plum tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric to taste
- Peel & chop the onion and fry it in oil until it turns translucent.
- Chop the tomatoes and add to the onion in the pan.
- Add herbs and spices.
- Cook until the tomatoes are evenly cooked through.
- With a wooden spoon, make two holes in the onion-tomato mix.
- Break and pour each egg into its own hole.
- Cover and let cook until the eggs are firm.
- Serve with pita or other bread.