Lebanese Baked Eggplant
Lebanese Baked Eggplant is a tangy dish that can be served with tabbouleh, hummus, and flat bread.
- 2 eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut eggplants into half-inch slices; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and let stand for 20 minutes; blot up the liquid with a paper towel.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; brown the onion and stew meat in the hot oil. Stir in the walnuts and cook another 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Arrange half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish; spoon the beef mixture over the layer of eggplant. Top the beef mixture with the remaining eggplant slices, potatoes, and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven until the eggplant is soft; about 1 hour.