Muhammar is a sweet rice and it's one of the most famous dishes in the Arabian gulf countries specially Bahrain. Muhammar is a must in the bahraini cuisine as a accompaniment to fish and only Fish. Let's try together this wonderful Muhammar recipe.
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 table spoons rose water
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Soak together saffron, cardamom, cloves, and rosewater; leave aside to steep.
- Add rice to 6 cups of boiling water: boil to half cooked about 8 minutes; drain.
- Stir sugar through the hot rice
- Heat the ghee or butter in the same pan the rice was boiled and add the sweetened rice. Sprinkle the rose water mix on top
- Cover the rim of pan with a cloth or paper towels and place lid on tightly
- Cook over very low heat about 20-25 minutes. Transfer to serving platter.
- Top with melted butter.
- Best eaten with fried king fish or rabbit fish (safee)