Learn how to make great Lebanese Fattoush, one of the most famous salad dishes in Lebanon.Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 pieces Lebanese bread, each cut into 4 pieces
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, deseeded, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 3 small radish, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sumac (see note)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- Make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake until well combined.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook bread, in 4 batches, turning, for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to drain. 3 Place tomatoes, cucumbers, capiscum, radish, onions, parsley and mint in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sumac. Drizzle with dressing. Toss gently to combine. Break bread into pieces. Add to salad. Toss gently and serve.
- Sumac is a cherry-red spice that's dried and ground and has a slightly sour, lime-like taste. You can find it in the spices aisle of your supermarket.
Super Food Ideas - November 2006, Page 52
Recipe by Abi Ulgiati