Equipment You will need 8 toothpicks for this recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- (about 350g) lamb eye of loin (backstrap), cut in half crossways
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pieces wholemeal lavash flatbread
- 1 x 225g ctn baba ghanoush
- 120g (1 cup) bought fresh tabouli
- Combine oil, garlic and lemon juice in a glass or ceramic dish. Add the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Set aside, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the lamb and cook for 3-4 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Cut across the grain into 5mm slices.
- Kids' task: Place a piece of lavash on a clean work surface and spread with one-quarter of the baba ghanoush. Top with one-quarter of the tabouli and one-quarter of the lamb. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Cut in half and secure each half with a toothpick. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining lavash, babaghanoush, tabouli and lamb.
- Serve immediately.
Good Taste - February 2005, Page 53
Recipe by Jane Charlton