The home of Lebanese Recipes Invites you to try Middle-eastern pies recipe. Enjoy Middle eastern food recipes and learn how to make tasty Middle-eastern pies.
1 medium eggplant
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g minced lamb
2 tsp each ground cumin, ginger, paprika
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbs tomato paste
410g can chopped tomatoes
100ml red wine
2 tbs finely chopped preserved lemon rind*
125ml (1/2 cup) thick Greek yoghurt
1 tbs chopped coriander
2 cups plain flour, sifted
125g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk, beaten
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2cm dice, sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes to degorge.
- To make the pastry, place flour and butter in a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add egg and 1-2 tablespoons of water, and process until mixture forms a smooth ball. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and fry for 1-2 minutes until just softened. Add garlic and lamb. Cook for 5 minutes until lamb has browned. Add spices and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, tomatoes and wine, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Rinse eggplant and squeeze dry in a tea towel. Heat remaining oil in a separate frying pan over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towel, then add to lamb and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes until thick and pulpy. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease pans. Roll out pastry and divide into 4. Use to line pans, leaving 2cm overhanging. Spoon a quarter of the lamb mixture into each case and fold up pastry, pleating as you go. Brush with egg yolk, place on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Combine lemon rind, yoghurt and coriander, and serve with the pies.
* Available from delicatessens.
delicious. - May 2002, Page 145
Recipe by Valli Little
Spinach Pie Recipe - Sambousek - Manoushe zaatar recipe
Save and share Middle-eastern pies recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.