Pancetta-wrapped turkey breast with herby lemon & pine nut stuffing
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Pancetta-wrapped turkey breast with herby lemon & pine nut stuffing recipe. Enjoy Christmas cooking recipes and learn how to make Pancetta-wrapped turkey breast with herby lemon & pine nut stuffing.
No need for impressive carving skills with this easy-to-serve dish with creamy gravy.
butter , for greasing
20 rashers pancetta (2 x 70g/2oz packs) or thinly sliced streaky bacon
3kg 104 oz butterflied turkeys breast (see know-how below)
FOR THE STUFFING
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions , halved and sliced
140g pack pancetta cubes or bacon lardons
50g pine nuts
4 garlic cloves , chopped
25g pack sage , leaves only, roughly chopped
zest 2 lemons
2 x 20g/1oz packs flat-leaf parsley , roughly chopped
100g coarse white breadcrumbs
1 egg , beaten
FOR THE GRAVY
300ml dry white wine
300ml chicken stock
142ml pot double cream
handful flat-leaf parsley , roughly chopped
1. First prepare the stuffing. Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion without colouring for 10 mins. Tip into a bowl. Add the pancetta or bacon to the pan, fry for 5 mins until golden, then add the pine nuts, garlic, sage and lemon zest. Fry for 1 min more until fragrant and the pine nuts are starting to brown. Stir in the chopped parsley. Tip into the bowl with the onions, then bind with the crumbs, egg and seasoning.
2. Butter and season a sheet of turkey foil or use 2 sheets of foil crimped together to make a sheet about 50 x 60cm. Lay five long pieces of string over the foil like rungs of a ladder, ready to tie the breast together. Arrange the pancetta or bacon in a lattice over the middle of the foil, on top of the string.
3. Open out the butterflied breast, skin-side down, and slash each side several times. Cover with cling film and bash with a rolling pin until the meat is about 5cm thick all over. Trim the sides so that you have a roughly rectangular shape (but be careful not to cut the skin). Lift onto the pancetta, then fill any gaps with the trimmings. Season, then press the stuffing along the middle of the joint. Pull up the sides at one end, tucking in the short end, then tie the string tightly so that the stuffing is encased. Repeat with all the strings. Wrap up tightly in the foil, then turn the roll over so that the pancetta is on the top. Can be left in the fridge for up to 2 days.
4. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Sit the joint in a roasting tin and roast for 40 mins per kg or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out very hot and the juices run clear. Unwrap for the last 10 mins of cooking.
5. Lift the joint onto a board and leave to rest, covered, for at least 10 mins. For the gravy, heat the tin on the hob, then splash in the wine and any juices. Reduce by half, then add the stock and repeat. Pour in the cream and bubble to a slightly reduced sauce. Season to taste, then stir in the parsley.
Sticky rosemary & garlic roots
Cut 1 medium swede (about 500g), 500g parsnips and 500g carrots into chunks. Peel and cut 2 red onions into 6 wedges each, leaving the root ends intact. Peel 5 garlic cloves; leave whole. Heat 25g butter in a large, lidded frying pan, then add the veg, 1 tbsp chopped rosemary and 4 tbsp veg stock. Season well, then put the lid on and cook gently for about 25 mins or until tender.
Know-how - butterflied turkey breast
A butterflied turkey breast is two turkey breasts taken off the bird and still joined by the skin. Ask your butcher to do this for you.
Nutrition per serving
850 kcalories, protein 96g, carbohydrate 18.6g, fat 43.5 g, saturated fat 16.2g, fibre 1g, sugar 6g, salt 2.96 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine, January 2008.
More Christmas Recipes...
Roast sirloin of beef recipe
Roast fillet of beef with shallots & mushrooms
Prosciutto-wrapped beef with pesto
Lamb and apricots recipe
Lemon roast turkey with hazelnut & fig stuffing
Spicy prawn cocktails
Save and share Pancetta-wrapped turkey breast with herby lemon & pine nut stuffing
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.