Middle Eastern roasted chicken recipe
|Photo: Middle Eastern roasted chicken|
Special options: Kid-friendly, Egg-free, Dairy-free
This is a really easy dish to prepare, using aromatic spices common in Middle Eastern cooking.Dry-roasting the spices is an essential step as it helps to bring out their full flavour.
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cassia
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 preserved lemon
4 garlic cloves
60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) olive oil
Pinch of saffron threads
1.6 kg (3 lb 8 oz) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
1/2 cup mint leaves
Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Place the cumin, coriander, caraway and fennel seeds in a small frying pan over low heat and cook until aromatic. Transfer the spices to a mortar and pestle, add the cayenne, ginger, cassia and salt, and pound to a fine powder. Set aside.
2. Remove the pips, flesh and pith from the lemon. Discard the pips and pith. Slice the rind into thin strips and reserve for a garnish. Add the lemon flesh and garlic to the spice powder in the mortar and pestle, and pound to a smooth paste, adding the olive oil gradually and then the saffron.
3. Place the chicken pieces in a large glass or ceramic bowl, add the spice paste and rub it into the chicken using your hands.
4. Line a roasting pan with non-stick baking paper. Put the chicken, skin side up, on the lined tray. Roast for 20 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices to develop a good colour and crust. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
5. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Toss the coriander, mint and reserved strips of preserved lemon together. Sprinkle over the chicken and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Adopted from Good Food
More from the Lebanese Recipes Kitchen:
Lebanese Rice with Chicken (Riz 3a Djeij)
Traditional Bahraini Chicken Machboos
Spiced Lebanese Pine Nuts and Raisins Rice with Turkey
Spicy chickpea rice “kedreh”
Save and share Middle Eastern roasted chicken recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.