Pumpkin and Chicken Tagine Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 6
A pumpkin and chicken tagine (a Moroccan style stew) that is just packed with fall flavours!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound skinless and boneless chicken (or turkey) breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, grated
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 cups (~2 pounds) pumpkin, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups (~1 pound) apple, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon harissa
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 preserved lemon, pith removed and diced
1 pinch saffron threads, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)
1/4 cup pomegranate (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or tagine over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cayenne pepper and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken, pumpkin, apple, harisa, honey, cranberries, preserved lemon, saffron threads, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the head and simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Serve over cous cous or rice or quinoa, etc. topped with the almonds, cilantro and yogurt.
Option: Replace the chicken with 2 (15 ounce) cans of chickpeas for vegetarian version.
Option: Replace the pumpkin with another sweet winter squash like a butternut squash or kobacha, etc.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 354, Fat 14g (Saturated 3g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 88mg, Carbs 33g (Fiber 7g, Sugars 20g), Protein 24g
Source: Closet Cooking