Sfiha (Lebanese Pie) Recipe
|Sfiha (Lebanese Pie)|
Total Time 50mins
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Pie made from our own fresh dough topped with spicy ground lamb meat, onions and tomatoes.
1⁄2 kg ground lamb
1 kg firm tomatoes, finely chopped
5 medium onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash ground cayenne pepper
1 dash ground cinnamon
1 dash ground allspice
2 tablespoons butter, diced
2 tablespoons yoghurt
1 tablespoon sesame paste (Tahinah)
1 tablespoon thickened pomegranate juice (if available)
4 tablespoons fried pine nuts
- Mix well meat, tomatoes, onion and spices. Add yoghurt, sesame paste and pomegranate. Mix all with fried pine nuts. Add butter.
- For Dough (check out my recipe #263355 for Ajeen) Divide dough into walnut size balls. Roll between hand palms to smooth.
- Roll out balls with a rolling pin to form 8 cm diameter circles. Put one tblp of meat mixture on dough circle seeing that a cube is in each spoon.
- Bring the edges up and press to make a square.
- Arrange meat pastries in a tray brushed with butter. Bake in a moderate heat oven (180°C) for 30 minutes or till dough is golden and meat is cooked.
- Serve hot with yoghurt.