Ouzeh Lamb n' Rice Recipe
The traditional Lebanese Ouzeh is a very popular festive dish that reigns on the meal table and buffets of major events.
Servings 6-8 persons | Prep Time 30 minutes | Cook Time 1h 35 minutes
750 gr Lamb shoulder cut in big shunks
400 gr Minced Beef lean
2 Onions (medium) sliced
40 gr butter unsalted
1 stick Cinnamon
2 grains Cardamom
1 cube meat stock
2 Bay leaves
100 gr Almonds bleached, and golden fried
100 gr pine nuts golden fried
100 gr pista
3 cups Long rice
Salt & Pepper
- Season the Lamb chunks with salt and pepper. Add half the butter (20 g butter) in a stew-pan, and cook in the lamb chunks on medium heat until their color changes.
- Add the sliced onions and cook for another 10 min.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and the cube of meat stock. Cover with water, and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium, and leave it to cook (about 45 minutes) Set the meat aside. Strain the liquid, and reserve it to cook the rice.
- In a separate pan, melt the remaining butter (20g) with one tbsp of oil, and fry in the minced meat, seasoning with salt and pepper. Once cooked reserve meat.
- Cook together in 6 cups of the broth: the rice and the minced meat for 20 min.
- Pour the rice and meat over a serving plate. Cover with the chunks of Lamb, and sprinkle on the almonds, pine nuts and pistachio.
- Serve at once.
- Excellent with a rich Fattouch salad. It is also delicious with Laban (plain yogurt) on the side.